A senior information technology management executive with extensive pan-European experience in IT strategy development, programme management, service delivery and strategic outsourcing of both IT and operational functions.
With seven years 'Big 4' consultancy experience as a Senior Manager in business development and programme delivery, John has also held board-level roles in multinational media, publishing and direct marketing services groups – managing divisions of up to 140 people. John’s reputation is for his ability to quickly identify the business need, and manage the introduction of systems and procedures that successfully effect change and improve profitability.
Areas of Expertise
- Change management
- Integration of IT with business goals
- Profit improvement
- Cost reduction
- Business improvement
- Project management
- IT Department restructuring
- Service delivery
- Director of Operations and Information at a £40 million direct marketing business - rationalised and outsourced operations and IT divisions of 140 staff adding £1 million per annum to the bottom line and improving service to the business.
- General Manager of three Reed International subsidiaries - turned around market focus and dramatically increased profits.
- Senior Manager at Price Waterhouse - managed relationships with blue-chip clients, and sold and managed delivery of major IT and business change projects.
- Information Director at VNU Business Publications - director of all IT infrastructure and improvement of service to users, developed successful e-business sites, expanded and improved quality of the circulation department, implemented a re-launched list-sales-business that led to revenue increase of 50% as per plan.
- Project Leader of one of the UK's largest charities - project managed the business and IT planning of a major national membership scheme. Recommended outsourcing the business processes necessary to support membership; prepared invitation to tender, and helped choose preferred supplier.
- Interim Head of IS Service Management of a major transportation company - managed IT service delivery with 30 internal staff and £35 million worth of externally sourced contracts.
- Interim IS Director at Age Concern England - managed transition between suppliers of outsourced IT services, and revitalised a strategic extranet project.
This Expert in Action
- Central services division of leading pan-European direct marketing company was underperforming.
- A £6 million internally developed IT system implementation was failing.
- 140 internal staff (60 in IT, 80 in direct marketing logistics) were involved on the project.
- Remedy needed, but any transition should not interrupt ongoing service.
What He Delivered
Over a period of two years John transformed the division, reducing the internal head count from 140 to seven, achieving net annual cost savings of £1 million and, crucially, improving levels of service. The change was managed against a challenging time deadline and within the £3 million transition budget.
- Undertook a comprehensive review, concluding that the division lacked the competencies to solve the problems internally.
- Convinced the board that the initial investment had failed and that alternative solutions were necessary.
- Ran a formal tender process to select an outsourced solution.
- Set up the project management approach and led the steering group.
- Implemented a programme of decentralisation of management across Europe.
- Took responsibility for all HR issues.
- Ensured the business operated successfully during the 15-month transition, as the full outsourcing initiative was phased in.